Monday, July 21, 2014

Septate Uterus: First Prenatal Appointment, 10 weeks

I had switched OBGYNs a couple weeks after I found out I was pregnant. In our area we have two hospitals, one has a NICU, the other does not. My original OBGYN only delivered at the hospital without the NICU and I really didn't want to deal with transferring the baby and myself should the baby need to be in the NICU. So naturally I switched to the OBGYN team that is directly affiliated with the hospital that has a NICU. I was even able to get set up with their high risk OB team right away instead of doing my initial visit with a regular OB.

The appointment was fairly normal for a first OB appointment. There were a few things that were different from the first time around, and possibly different from an OB appointment for a normal pregnancy. The first difference was the length of the first ultrasound. Usually they get some measurements of the fetus, its heartbeat, the uterus, and they often look at the ovaries. There was quite a bit more looking to try to get a clear picture of where the baby was located, not only which horn but also in relation to my scar from Jr.'s c-section. The other big difference was how serious the resident and the OB were about all the questions they asked and the information they communicated. They wanted to know as much as they could about my immediate family's medical history (which is normal, but they seemed almost paranoid about it) and listened very carefully to any details I gave about my sisters' pregnancies. Their manner was almost worrying, but having been pregnant before I wasn't fretting at all.

It appears from the ultrasound that Baby #2 may be implanted in the left horn, which will be all new to me, as Jr. was implanted on the right side. That information though was a best guess. My uterus was turned/tilted at that point causing the two horns to be stacked on top of each other. I'm not sure what the ultrasound tech based her decision on.

My OB, Dr. H, seems concerned about a few things: my vaginal septum, my kidneys, and my cervix. He's thinking that my vaginal septum might tear should I attempt a vaginal birth (VBAC from now on because it would be a Vaginal Birth after Cesarian). Dr. T (mentioned in the previous post) felt certain that the septum would simply push out of the way, especially considering the fact that it is completely attached to the vaginal wall near the cervix. But only time will tell. Dr. H said that at my next appointment they will do an ultrasound of my kidneys. I forgot to mention in the previous post that kidney issues are fairly common with Müllerian anomalies. I believe that's simply because they developed at the same time as the reproductive system. This isn't a huge worry, but obviously it'll be important to know if I have only one kidney. Dr. H is only concerned about my cervix because of my lovely sister. My sister is pregnant with twins and currently on bed rest due to an incompetent cervix (the poor thing!). I mentioned it because it came up in conversation about family medical history, and now I'll have an ultrasound at each visit to measure the thickness of my cervix. I'm sure it will be no problem. Jr. was head down and pushing on my cervix for two months without any change to my cervix. 

I'm not sure how thrilling my appointments will be since my pregnancy with Jr. was pretty low key until his birth. Who knows, maybe I'll be unlucky this time.

My next appointment is in less than a week and I'll have another update then.

No comments:

Post a Comment