Friday, December 11, 2015

What I'm Loving... in the Bathroom



For this post we find ourselves in the vacation home of moms everywhere: the bathroom. The sweet haven where we sometimes manage to get 5 minutes of peace and quiet, but if it isn't quiet we at least don't have anyone touching us.

Before we go any further, I do want to point out that the last product mentioned below is a feminine product. I've placed it at the end so that any male readers can easily skip past if they'd rather not learn about that.

Also, I'm not being paid to say any of this. Everything has been purchased by me.

Renpure Originals Shampoo and Conditioner


For at least the past five years, I have tried to use shampoos and conditioners that are at least free of sulfates and paraben, if not also other harsh chemicals. I like my hair and I want to treat it well, because I'd like it to stay around and look pretty good with minimal effort. 

I've tried several brands through the years, some which are definitely no longer sulfate and paraben free, and some that have cost a pretty penny. I'm always looking for a new option and ran across Renpure Originals in my local grocery store. 

Renpure products are free of sulfates, parabens, sodium chloride, dyes, harsh salts, and gluten. I have only seen two options in stores around here, Argan Oil and Coconut Milk, but there are several more options, including a cleansing conditioner. In my area each bottle is around $7.99, which I would say is pretty average for a "specialty" brand. There are some savings in that it's a bigger bottle than some other shampoos and conditioners, so you are saving some money per ounce.

I really like how my hair feels with this product and I can still manage to wash my hair every other day without it looking greasy in between (I've found that's not always the case with some shampoos and conditioners). I am partial to the Argan Oil, but I still enjoyed the Coconut Milk when I used it. A silly favorite thing about Renpure Originals shampoos and conditioners is that the bottles say the products were tested on the Redmond family and not on animals.

SheaMoisture Body Wash



My time in the bathroom is the only time I get to pamper myself. I am not someone that uses makeup everyday (or even once every couple of months) and I don't remember the last time I had a mani-pedi (I was probably pregnant with my oldest), so I like to use personal care products that are pampering. In recent years my go to soap has been a Dove bar, especially their winter care, but I was looking for something with more fragrance to give me a nice little pick me up after pounding out my workouts. I was sniffing several of the specialty brands in Target one day and my nose fell in love with SheaMoisture's Superfuit Complex Body Wash. Home it came and the first time I used it I fell in love again.

I don't care that this 13 fl oz bottle of body wash is almost $8, it is so luxurious. I love the way it feels on my skin. I love that it includes organic ingredients (it is not completely organic). It's list of 'No's puts Renpure Originals to shame: no parabens, no phthalates, no paraffin, no propylene glycol, no mineral oil, no synthetic fragrance, no synthetic color, no DEA, no sulfates, and no animal testing. They too test the products on their families. And it's been around since 1912.

There's this wonderful ingredient called mango butter. It is heaven. The moisturizing qualities are so intense that you can feel it stay in your wash cloth, even after rigorous rinsing. I've begun to apply it with just my hands because I want to keep all of that natural moisturizer to myself.

SheaMoisture Body Wash comes in several varieties. SheaMoisture has many products available: pretty much any hair product you could want, soaps, bubble bath, aftershave, lotions, scrubs, body wax, a men's line, products for mom's and babies, products for keeping your face clean and hydrated, makeup, everything. 

Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer



I have yet to find any face cleansing product that doesn't leave my face feeling dry (that includes just water and using coconut oil, which dried my skin out big time), so a daily moisturizer that hydrates but doesn't add to my natural oils is essential.

I've found that Aveeno's Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer does a pretty good job. It is a light moisturizer that also offers SPF 15 protection. It does what I want it to do. As far as improving my skin tone, that's hard to judge because not only am I using this product, but I've also made changes to my diet.

Pronamel Toothpaste



Does this toothpaste actually help to strengthen my enamel? I have no idea, but I love the idea that it could. Has it reduce my sensitivity? Yes, definitely. Not completely, but it's a lot better.

I've grown quite picky about the texture of my toothpaste. I detest all gels and am not a fan of anything gritty. I find this to be just the right smoothness and a nice, not overpowering, mint. I'm pretty sure I'll stick with this for the rest of my life.

Turbie Twist


Say what you will, but I love this towel. I used to use two towels when I showered because I hate to have water dripping off of my hair when I'm trying dry my body. It's just so inefficient to not have your hair wrapped in a towel.

I have several that have helped up well over 4 or so years of use, and I use them every single time I shower. I have even been known to take them when I travel, because I really really don't like dripping hair.

These are easy to use and stay on my head fairly well. I have medium length hair and quite a bit of it (though there are some who would not say it is thick), so I would guess that these will work with nearly every hair style/type, except perhaps the very short, very long, or very very thick.

*This next product is the feminine product*

Diva Cup


Let me first say that I was SUPER skeptical and SUPER grossed out at the thought of using a menstrual cup. I'm not sure what made me change my mind, but I decided several months ago to give it a try, and I'm glad I did.

The basic premise of a menstrual cup is that instead of using sanitary pads or tampons, you insert this cup at the start of your period. It collects your menses which you then empty into the toilet several times a day. It is a worry free system, once you get the hang of it.

The Diva Cup seems to be a popular brand and was available at our local CVS. It comes in two sizes: never given birth and under 30 (size one) or given birth and/or over 30 (size two). I obviously picked size two. I read a fair amount about menstrual cups before giving it a try. I felt it was important to be well read since I have had a vaginal septum and have a uterine abnormality. From what I read, as long as you have one vaginal it should work for you.

I will not go over insertion and removal as there are plenty of resources out there for that. I will tell you that if you time it well, you could place it before work and empty it when you get home. Their stipulation is that you empty the cup twice in a 24 hour period. Twice. Much easier than tampons and pads.

What do I love about it? I can exercise without the annoying chaffing of a pad. I don't have to worry about that "period smell" because no menses are being exposed to air. I don't have to worry about leaks (well, I don't know that I'm used to it and have a better working knowledge of the product. It took a few cycles). My family doesn't have to be grossed out by feminine products in the trash. Things are cleaner. I haven't had cramps at all (not sure if this is a real benefit or just a change after baby two). I don't have to worry about leaking on someone's sheets when visiting family. It's more money in my pocket every month and less waste in the dump.

All in all in this product is fantastic, and I'm very grateful for the normal women that I know who have advocated for menstrual cups in the public forum.   

No comments:

Post a Comment