Monday, March 17, 2014

Shepherd's Pie

Since it's the feast day of St. Patrick, I decided to post one of our favorite ways to use ground beef: Shepherd's Pie. We're not big beef eaters and we have a few standard ways to use it, this being a personal favorite.

Traditional Shepherd's pie would be made with ground lamb or a mix of lamb and beef. From what I've gathered, it seems that using only beef would be considered Cottage Pie not Shepherd's Pie, but I see that as splitting hairs. 


Now a warning: I deviate from the recipe. I deviate from most recipes. But I do it for convenience and to make my husband happy. I will post the recipe I use as written and tell you of the changes I make.

The first big change is that I cut this recipe in half. There's only two of us eating this so it's just enough. I know in the future I'll have to triple it in order to feed everyone.

Before we go too much further, I have some advice:

  1. However you decide to make your mashed potatoes make them first not while you're trying to make the meat mixture. It's just easier to not multi-task. If you're making them from scratch you can have them boil while you make the meat mixture.
  2. Have all the ingredients out and ready to go. I think it makes life easier and you're less likely to burn the meat mixture.

SHEPHERD'S PIE

Ingredients

1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 lb ground beef or ground lamb
1 large onion, finely diced
3-4 large carrots, finely diced
1 cup frozen peas
3-4 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons flour
1 Tablespoon butter
1 glass red wine
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 cup stock (chicken, beef, vegetable- which ever you prefer)
1 large quantity mashed potatoes (estimating 1 lb or 6 cups, fresh or leftover)
1 egg, beaten
Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

My changes:

  • As mentioned before I cut this recipe in half.
  • I use frozen mixed vegetables instead of the carrots and peas. My husband hates peas so this cuts down on the amount in the recipe. I use about a cup and half to two cups. I add them when the recipes says to add the peas.
  • I use dried thyme. For a recipe cut in half I use about 1 teaspoon.
  • Sometimes I use grated cheddar cheese on the top.

Method

1. Preheat oven to 200C/400F.
2. Sauté carrots in the olive oil until starting to get tender.
3. Add in the onions and sauté for a minute or two then add the meat.
4. Season with black pepper and thyme.


5. Cook until browned then drain fat.
6. Add the butter and peas.
7. Sprinkle with flour and stir through.



8. Add tomato paste, wine, and Wircestershire sauce. (if not using a non-stick skillet add wine first to deglaze the pan, being sure to scrape up anything on the bottom of the pan)
9. Let this reduce slightly then add the stock. Allow to reduce down until you have a thick meaty gravy. Season to your taste.
10. Remove from heat. Grease an oven proof dish with butter and then add meat mixture.

11. Spoon or pipe the mashed potatoes over top. Brush with egg and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if using.


12. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the potato is nice and browned on top.
This is almost guaranteed to happen. It always bubbles up for me. *I've just been told to use a rubber spatula to really press the potatoes down around the sides.*

13. Serve as is or with some crusty bread to mop up that yummy sauce.

Well, I hope that you enjoy your Shepherd's Pie.

Here is a link to printable recipe: Shepherd's Pie

1 comment:

  1. I love Shepherd's Pie! This is pretty similar to how I make mine. I also use a bag of frozen mixed veggies because I prefer having the large variety of veggies!

    ReplyDelete